Topic 2: Strategies, Approaches and Techniques
Strategies, Approaches and Techniques
- In order to concretize the concept of unit and tens digits to individuals, we express that 10 units digits correspond to 1 tens digit with the associated objects. Expression of value of some two-digit numbers are completed.
- First the teachers count up to 100. Then counting will be completed all together and these numbers are noted down.
- First multiplication operations is described. The necessity of this operation for complicated additions are explained. Easy multiplication exercises are completed orally.
- The multiplication table is taught and the tricks of it is explained. For example; 2 x 4 gives the same result as 4 x 2.
- Firstly division operation is defined. To concretize this operations you can exchange views on how to share 10 leaves of bread among 5 people.
- In order to set an example to division operation 14 / 2 can be used.
- 1) How many «2»s are there in the number 14?
- 2) 2 x 7=14
- 3) So, we can say that there are 7 «2»s in the number 14.
- There is 24 hours in a day. We can say that a week comprises of 7 days and we can count the days together. Lastly, we can say that a year includes 52 weeks and 365 days.
- We can do operations with the coins and banknotes up to 100 € to exercise. For example; we can ask questions like «I have five 10€ so how much money do I have in total?». It is important to have the money present while doing such exercises.
- The concepts of half and quarter can be demonstrated with a loaf of bread. Later it can adapted to hours. For example, a quarter resembels 15 mins. And 2 quarter resemble 30 mins.
- You can demonstrate the mentioned prepositions of place with a box. For example; a book can be put in a box and later the location of the book may be asked.