Topic 1: General data, statistics and factsheets regarding migration flows Immigration to the EU from non-member countries – Statistics
- According to Eurostat, immigration to the EU from non-member countries was 2.4 million in 2017. A total of 4.4 million people immigrated to one of the EU-28 Member States during 2017, while at least 3.1 million emigrants were reported to have left an EU Member State*.
- Among these 4.4 million immigrants during 2017, there were an estimated 2.0 million citizens of non-EU countries, 1.3 million people with citizenship of a different EU Member State from the one to which they immigrated, around 1.0 million people who migrated to an EU Member State of which they had the citizenship (for example, returning nationals or nationals born abroad), and some 11 thousand stateless people.
- In 2017, there were an estimated 2.4 million immigrants to the EU-28 from non-EU countries. In addition, 1.9 million people previously residing in one EU Member State migrated to another Member State*.
Watch the Video regarding
- The number of people residing in an EU Member State with citizenship of a non-member country on 1 January 2018 was 22.3 million, representing 4.4 % of the EU-28 population. In addition, there were 17.6 million persons living in one of the EU Member States on 1 January 2018 with the citizenship of another EU Member State.
- Since the beginning of 21st century, the number of immigrants and mobile EU citizens living in today’s 28 EU Member States has increased by about 60%: from 34 million (or 6.9 % of total EU population) in 2000 to 57 million (or 11.1%) in 2017.
- Among these, roughly 20 million people came from another EU Member State, while 37 million are third country nationals and naturalised EU citizens with place of birth outside the EU*.
*Eurostat, Migration and migrant population statistics (https://ec.europa.eu/eurostat/statistics-explained/index.php/Migration_and_migrant_population_statistics#Migration_flows:_Immigration_to_the_EU_from_non-member_countries_was_2.4_million_in_2017)